1. Grubb A, Löfberg H. Human gamma-trace, a basic microprotein: amino acid sequence and presence in the adenohypophysis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 1982; 79: 3024–3027.
2. Manetti L, Pardinin E, Genovesi M et al. Thyroid function differently affects serum cystatin C and creatinine concentrations. J Endocrinol Invest 2005; 28: 346–349.
3. Risch L, Herklotz R, Blumberg A et al. Effects of Glucocorticoid Immunosuppression on Serum Cystatin C Concentrations in Renal Transplant Patients. Clin Chem 2001; 47: 2055–2059.
4. Herget-Rosenthal S, Marggraf G, Hüsing J et al. Early detection of acute renal failure by serum cystatin C. Kidney Int 2004, 66: 1115–1122.
5. Hertlová M, Šurel S, Šenkyřík M et al. Cystatin C in estimates of glomerular filtration in patients with renal dinase – initial experience. Vnitř Lék 2001; 47: 10–16.
6. Anavekar NS, McMurray JJV, Velazquez EJ et al. Relation between Renal Dysfunction and Cardiovascular Outcomes after Myocardial Infarction. N Engl J Med 2004; 351: 1285–1295.
7. Shlipak MG, Sarnak MJ, Katz R et al. Cystatin C and the Risk of Death and Cardiovascular Events among Elderly Persons. N Engl J Med 2005; 352: 2049–2060.
8. Shlipak MG, Katz R, Sarnak MJ et al. Cystatin C and Prognosis for Cardiovascular and Kidney Outcomes in Elderly Persons without Chronic Kidney Disease. Ann Intern Med 2006; 145: 237–246.
9. Knight EL, Verhave JC, Spiegelman D et al. Factors influencing serum cystatin C levels other than renal function and the impact on renal function measurement. Kidney Int 2004; 65: 1416–1421.
10. Luc G, Bard JM, Lesueur C et al. PRIME Study Group. Plasma cystatin-C and development of coronary heart disease: The PRIME Study. Atherosclerosis 2006; 185: 375–380.
11. Kilic T, Oner G, Ural E et al. Comparison of the long-term prognostic value of Cystatin C to other indicators of renal function, markers of inflammation and systolic dysfunction among patients with acute coronary syndrome. Atherosclerosis 2009; 207: 552–558.
12. Taglieri N, Fernandez-Berges DJ, Koenig W et al. SIESTA Investigators. Plasma cystatin C for prediction of 1-year cardiac events in Mediterranean patients with non-ST elevation acute coronary syndrome. Atherosclerosis 2010; 209: 300–305.
13. Koenig W, Twardella D, Brenner H et al. Plasma Concentrations of Cystatin C in Patients with Coronary Heart Disease and Risk for Secondary Cardiovascular Events: More than Simply a Marker of Glomerular Filtration Rate. Clin Chem 2005; 51: 321–327.
14. Xie L, Terrand J, Xu B et al. Cystatin C increases in cardiac injury: a role in extracellular matrix protein modulation. Cardiovasc Res 2010; 87: 628–635.
15. Xu SY, Carlson M, Engström A et al. Purification and characterization of a human neutrophil lipocalin (HNL) from the secondary granules of human neutrophils. Scand J Clin Lab Invest 1994; 54: 365–376.
16. Kjeldsen L, Johnsen AH, Sengeløv H et al. Isolation and primary structure of NGAL, a novel protein associated with human neutrophil gelatinase. J Biol Chem 1993; 268: 10425–10432.
17. Flo TH, Smith KD, Sato S et al. Lipocalin 2 mediates an innate immune response to bacterial infection by sequestrating iron. Nature 2004; 432: 917–921.
18. Yan QW, Yang Q, Mody N et al. The Adipokine Lipocalin 2 Is Regulated by Obesity and Promotes Insulin Resistance. Diabetes 2007; 56: 2533–2540.
19. Yang J, Blum A, Novak T et al. An Epithelial Precursor Is Regulated by the Ureteric Bud and by the Renal Stroma. Dev Biol 2002; 246: 296–310.
20. Meldrum KK, Hile K, Meldrum DR et al. Simulated Ischemia Induces Renal Tubular Cell Apoptosis Through a Nuclear Factor-κB Dependent Mechanism. J Urol 2002; 168: 248–252.
21. Gupta K, Shukla M, Cowland JB et al. Neutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin is expressed in osteoarthritis and forms a complex with matrix metalloproteinase 9. Arthritis Rheum 2007; 56: 3326–3335.
22. Yan L, Borregaard N, Kjeldsen L et al. The High Molecular Weight Urinary Matrix Metalloproteinase (MMP) Activity Is a Complex of Gelatinase B/MMP-9 and Neutrophil Gelatinase-associated Lipocalin (NGAL). Modulation of MMP-9 activity by NGAL. J Biol Chem 2001; 276: 37258–37265.
23. Devarajan P. The promise of biomarkers for personalized renal cancer care. Kidney Int 2010; 77: 755–757.
24. Schmidt-Ott KM, Mori K, Li JY et al. Dual Action of Neutrophil Gelatinase-associated Lipocalin. J Am Soc Nephrol 2007; 18: 407–413.
25. Grigoryev DN, Liu M, Hassoun HT et al. The Local and Systemic Inflammatory Transcriptome after Acute Kidney Injury. J Am Soc Nephrol 2008; 19: 547–558.
26. Mishra J, Dent C, Tarabishi R et al. Neutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin (NGAL) as a biomarker for acute renal injury after cardiac surgery. Lancet 2005; 365: 1231–1238.
27. Hirsch R, Dent C, Pfriem H et al. NGAL is an early predictive biomarker of contrast-induced nephropathy in children. Pediatr Nephrol 2007; 22: 2089–2095.
28. Bolignano D, Lacquaniti A, Coppolino G et al. Neutrophil Gelatinase-Associated Lipocalin Reflects the Severity of Renal Impairment in Subjects Affected by Chronic Kidney Disease. Kidney Blood Press Res 2008; 31: 255–258.
29. Malyszko J, Bachorzewska-Gajewska H, Malyszko JS et al. Serum neutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin as a marker of renal function in hypertensive and normotensive patients with coronary artery disease. Nephrology 2008; 13: 153–156.
30. Elneihoum AM, Falke P, Hedblad B et al. Leukocyte activation in atherosclerosis: correlation with risk factors. Atherosclerosis 1997; 131: 79–84.
31. Hemdahl AL, Gabrielsen A, Zhu C et al. Expression of Neutrophil Gelatinase-Associated Lipocalin in Atherosclerosis and Myocardial Infarction. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 2006; 26: 136–142.
32. Leclercq A, Houard X, Philippe M et al. Involvement of intraplaque hemorrhage in atherothrombosis evolution via neutrophil protease enrichment. J Leukoc Biol 2007; 82: 1420–1429.
33. te Boekhorst BC, Bovens SM, Hellings WE et al. Molecular MRI of murine atherosclerotic plaque targeting NGAL: a protein associated with unstable human plaque characteristics. Cardiovasc Res 2011; 89: 680–688.
34. Kalousek I, Röselová P, Otevřelová P. NGAL – neutrophil gelatinase associated lipocalin in biochemistry, physiology and clinical praxis. Čas Lék Čes 2006; 145: 373–376.
35. Elneihoum AM, Falke P, Axelsson L et al. Leukocyte Activation Detected by Increased Plasma Levels of Inflammatory Mediators in Patients With Ischemic Cerebrovascular Diseases. Stroke 1996; 27: 1734–1738.
36. Yndestad A, Landrö L, Ueland T et al. Increased systemic and myocardial expression of neutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin in clinical and experimental heart failure. Eur Heart J 2009; 30: 1229–1236.