1. Rennie MJ. Anabolic resistance in critically ill patients. Crit Care Med 2009; 37(10 Suppl): S398–9.
2. Bischoff-Ferrari HA, Dawson-Hughes B, Staehelin HB. Fall prevention with supplemental and active forms of vitamin D a meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials. Br Med J 2009; 339: b3692.
3. Bauer J, Biolo G, Cederholm T, et al. Evidence-based recommendations for optimal dietary protein intake in older people: a position paper from the PROT-AGE Study Group. J Am Med Dir Assoc 2013; 14(8): 542–59.
4. Milne AC, Potter J, Vivanti A, Avenell A. Protein and energy supplementation in elderly people at risk from malnutrition. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2009; 2: CD003288.
5. Biolo G, Ciocchi B, Bosutti A. Pentoxifylline acutely reduces protein catabolism in chronically uremic patients. Am J Kidney Dis 2002; 40: 1162–1172
6. Dreyer HC, Drummond MJ, Pennings B, et al. Leucine-enriched essential amino acid and carbohydrate ingestion following resistance exercise enhances mTOR signaling and protein synthesis in human muscle. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 2008; 294(2): E392–400.
7. Holecek M, Muthny T, Kovarik M, Sispera L. Effect of beta-hydroxy-beta-methylbutyrate (HMB) on protein metabolism in whole body and in selected tissues. Food Chem Toxicol 2009; 47(1): 255–9.
8. Arnal MA, Mosoni L, Boirie Y, et al. Protein pulse feeding improves protein retention in elderly women. Am J Clin Nutr 1999; 12: 1202–1208.
9. Boirie Y, Dangin M, Gachon P, et al. “Slow and fast dietary proteins differently modulate postprandial protein accretion.” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 1997; 94(26): 14930–14935.
10. Tang JE, Moore DR, Kujbida GW, et al. Ingestion of whey hydrolysate, casein, or soy protein isolate: effects on mixed muscle protein synthesis at rest and following resistance exercise in young men. Journal of Applied Physiology 2009; 107, 987–992.
11. Pennings B, Boirie Y, Senden JM, et al. Whey protein stimulates postprandial muscle protein accretion more effectively than do casein and casein hydrolysate in older men. Am J Clin Nutr 2011; 93: 997–1005.
12. Smith GI, Atherton P, Reeds DN, et al. Dietary omega-3 fatty acid supplementation increases the rate of muscle protein synthesis in older adults: a randomized controlled trial. Am J Clin Nutr 2011; 93: 402–412.
13. Biolo G, Declan Fleming RY, Wolfe RR. Physiologic hyperinsulinemia stimulates protein synthesis and enhances transport of selected amino acids in human skeletal muscle. J Clin Invest 1995; 16: 811–819.
14. Rasmussen BB, Fujita S, Wolfe RR, et al. Insulin resistance of muscle protein metabolism in aging. FASEB J 2006; 20(6): 768–9.
15. Biolo G, Fleming RY, Maggi SP, et al. Inverse regulation of protein turnover and amino acid transport in skeletal muscle of hypercatabolic patients. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2002; 87(7): 3378–3384.