1. Christopher-Stine L, Plotz PH. Adult inflammatory myopathies. Best Pract Res Clin Rheumatol 2004;18:331-344.
2. Bohan A, Peter JB. Polymyositis and dermatomyositis. N Engl J Med 1975;292:344-347.
3. Needham M, Mastaglia FL. Inclusion body myositis: current pathogenetic concepts and diagnostic and therapeutic approaches. Lancet Neurol 2007;6:620-631.
4. Alexanderson H, Lundberg IE. The role of exercise in the rehabilitation of idiopathic inflammatory myopathies. Curr Opin Rheumatol 2005;17:164-171.
5. Miller FW, Rider LG, Chung YL, et al. Proposed preliminary core set measures for disease outcome assessment in adult and juvenile idiopathic inflammatory myopathies. Rheumatology (Oxford) 2001;40:1262-1273.
6. Dugan EM, Huber AM, Miller FW, et al. Photoessay of the cutaneous manifestations of the idiopathic inflammatory myopathies. Dermatol Online J 2009;15:1.
7. Gerami P, Schope JM, McDonald L, et al. A systematic review of adult-onset clinically amyopathic dermatomyositis (dermatomyositis sine myositis): a missing link within the spectrum of the idiopathic inflammatory myopathies. J Am Acad Dermatol 2006;54:597-613.
8. Hoffman EP, Rao D, Pachman LM. Clarifying the boundaries between the inflammatory and dystrophic myopathies: insights from molecular diagnostics and microarrays. Rheum Dis Clin North Am 2002;28:743-757.
9. Chahin N, Engel AG. Correlation of muscle biopsy, clinical course, and outcome in PM and sporadic IBM. Neurology 2008;70:418-424.
10. Walsh RJ, Amato AA. Toxic myopathies. Neurol Clin 2005;23:397-428.
11. Seidler A, Gottlieb A. Dermatomyositis induced by drug therapy. J Am Acad Dermatol 2008;59:872-880.
12. Yazici Y, Kagen LJ. Clinical presentation of the idiopathic inflammatory myopathies. Rheum Dis Clin North Am 2002;28:823-832.
13. Wortmann RL, DiMauro S. Differentiating idiopathic inflammatory myopathies from metabolic myopathies. Rheum Dis Clin North Am 2002;28:759-778.
14. Lundberg IE. The heart in dermatomyositis and polymyositis. Rheumatology (Oxford) 2006;45:18-21.
15. Rider LG. Outcome assessment in the adult and juvenile idiopathic inflammatory myopathies. Rheum Dis Clin North Am 2002;28:935-977.
16. Marguerie C, Bunn CC, Beynon HL,, et al. Polymyositis, pulmonary fibrosis and autoantibodies to aminoacyl-tRNA synthetase enzymes. Q J Med 1990;77:1019-1038.
17. Brouwer R, Hengstman GJ, Vree Egberts W, et al. Autoantibody profiles in the sera of European patients with myositis. Ann Rheum Dis 2001;60:116-123.
18. Betteridge Z, Gunawardena H, North J, et al. Anti-synthetase syndrome: a new autoantibody to phenylalanyl transfer RNA synthetase (anti-Zo) associated with polymyositis and interstitial pneumonia. Rheumatology (Oxford) 2007;46:1005-1008.
19. Hashish L, Trieu EP, Sadanandan P, et al. Identification of autoantibodies to tyrosyl-tRNA synthetase in dermatomyositis with features consistent with antisynthetase syndrome (abstract). Arthritis Rheum 2005;52:S312.
20. Tillie-Leblond I, Wislez M, Valeyre D, et al. Interstitial lung disease and anti-Jo-1 antibodies: difference between acute and gradual onset. Thorax 2008;63:53-59.
21. Stone KB, Oddis CV, Fertig N, et al. Anti-Jo-1 antibody levels correlate with disease activity in idiopathic inflammatory myopathy. Arthritis Rheum 2007;56:3125-3131.
22. Kao AH, Lacomis D, Lucas M, et al. Anti-signal recognition particle autoantibody in patients with and patients without idiopathic inflammatory myopathy. Arthritis Rheum 2004;50:209-215.
23. Miller T, Al-Lozi MT, Lopate G, et al. Myopathy with antibodies to the signal recognition particle: clinical and pathological features. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2002;73:420-428.
24. Hengstman GJ, Vree Egberts WT, Seelig HP, et al. Clinical characteristics of patients with myositis and autoantibodies to different fragments of the Mi-2 beta antigen. Ann Rheum Dis 2006;65:242-245 .
25. Marguerie C, Bunn CC, Copier J, et al. The clinical and immunogenetic features of patients with autoantibodies to the nucleolar antigen PM-Scl. Medicine (Baltimore) 1992;71:327-336 .
26. Cavazzana I, Ceribelli A, Quinzanini M, et al. Prevalence and clinical associations of anti-Ku antibodies in systemic autoimmune diseases. Lupus 2008;17:727-732.
27. Targoff IN, Mamyrova G, Trieu EP, et al. A novel autoantibody to a 155-kd protein is associated with dermatomyositis. Arthritis Rheum 2006;54:3682-3689.
28. Kaji K, Fujimoto M, Hasegawa M, et al. Identification of a novel autoantibody reactive with 155 and 140 kDa nuclear proteins in patients with dermatomyositis: an association with malignancy. Rheumatology (Oxford) 2007;46:25-28.
29. Gunawardena H, Wedderburn LR, North J, et al. Juvenile Dermatomyositis Research Group UK. Clinical associations of autoantibodies to a p155/140 kDa doublet protein in juvenile dermatomyositis. Rheumatology (Oxford) 2008;47:324-328.
30. Chinoy H, Fertig N, Oddis CV, et al. The diagnostic utility of myositis autoantibody testing for predicting the risk of cancer-associated myositis. Ann Rheum Dis 2007;66:1345-1349.
31. Gunawardena H, Wedderburn LR, Chinoy H, et al. Juvenile Dermatomyositis Research Group, UK and Ireland. Autoantibodies to a 140-kd protein in juvenile dermatomyositis are associated with calcinosis. Arthritis Rheum 2009;60:1807-1814.
32. Sato S, Hirakata M, Kuwana M, et al. Autoantibodies to a 140-kd polypeptide, CADM-140, in Japanese patients with clinically amyopathic dermatomyositis. Arthritis Rheum 2005;52:1571-1576.
33. Sato S, Hoshino K, Satoh T, et al. RNA helicase encoded by melanoma differentiation-associated gene 5 is a major autoantigen in patients with clinically amyopathic dermatomyositis: Association with rapidly progressive interstitial lung disease. Arthritis Rheum 2009;60:2193-2200.
34. Betteridge ZE, Gunawardena H, Chinoy H, et al. Clinical and human leucocyte antigen class II haplotype associations of autoantibodies to small ubiquitin-like modifier enzyme, a dermatomyositis-specific autoantigen target, in UK Caucasian adult-onset myositis. Ann Rheum Dis 2009;68:1621-1625.
35. Christopher-Stine L, Hong G, Casciola-Rosen L, et al. A Novel Autoantibody against 200/100 Kd Proteins Is Associated with Necrotizing Myopathy (abstract). Arthritis Rheum 2009;60:S430.
36. Lovitt S, Moore SL, Marden FA. The use of MRI in the evaluation of myopathy. Clin Neurophysiol 2006;117:486-495.
37. Tomasova-Studynkova J, Charvat F, Jarosova K, Vencovsky J. The role of MRI in the assessment of polymyositis and dermatomyositis. Rheumatology 2007;46:1174-1179.
38. Curiel RV, Jones R, Brindle K. Magnetic resonance imaging of the idiopathic inflammatory myopathies: structural and clinical aspects. Ann NY Acad Sci 2009;1154:101–114.
39. *Dalakas MC. Muscle biopsy findings in inflammatory myopathies. Rheum Dis Clin North Am 2002;28:779-798.
40. van der Pas J, Hengstman GJ, ter Laak HJ, et al. Diagnostic value of MHC class I staining in idiopathic inflammatory myopathies. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2004;75:136-139.
41. Jain A, Sharma MC, Sarkar C, et al. Major histocompatibility complex class I and II detection as a diagnostic tool in idiopathic inflammatory myopathies. Arch Pathol Lab Med 2007;131:1070-1076.
42. Lundberg I, Kratz AK, Alexanderson H, Patarroyo M. Decreased expression of interleukin-1alpha, interleukin-1beta, and cell adhesion molecules in muscle tissue following corticosteroid treatment in patients with polymyositis and dermatomyositis. Arthritis Rheum 2000;43:336-348.
43. Madan V, Chinoy H, Griffiths CE, Cooper RG. Defining cancer risk in dermatomyositis. Clin Exp Dermatol 2009;34:451-455.
44. Villalba L, Hicks JE, Adams EM, et al. Treatment of refractory myositis: a randomized crossover study of two new cytotoxic regimens. Arthritis Rheum 1998;41:392-399.
45. Dalakas MC, Illa I, Dambrosia JM, et al. A controlled trial of high-dose intravenous immune globulin infusions as treatment for dermatomyositis. N Engl J Med 1993;329:1993-2000.
46. Barbasso Helmers S, Dastmalchi M, Alexanderson H, et al. Limited effects of high-dose intravenous immunoglobulin (IVIG) treatment on molecular expression in muscle tissue of patients with inflammatory myopathies. Ann Rheum Dis 2007;66:1276-1283.
47. Pisoni CN, Cuadrado MJ, Khamashta MA, et al. Mycophenolate mofetil treatment in resistant myositis. Rheumatology (Oxford) 2007;46:516-518.
48. Yamasaki Y, Yamada H, Yamasaki M, et al. Intravenous cyclophosphamide therapy for progressive interstitial pneumonia in patients with polymyositis/dermatomyositis. Rheumatology (Oxford) 2007;46:124-130.
49. Wilkes MR, Sereika SM, Fertig N, et al. Treatment of antisynthetase-associated interstitial lung disease with tacrolimus. Arthritis Rheum 2005;52:2439-2446.
50. Noss EH, Hausner-Sypek DL, Weinblatt ME. Rituximab as therapy for refractory polymyositis and dermatomyositis. J Rheumatol 2006;33:1021-1026.
51. Arlet JB, Dimitri D, Pagnoux C, et al. Marked efficacy of a therapeutic strategy associating prednisone and plasma exchange followed by rituximab in two patients with refractory myopathy associated with antibodies to the signal recognition particle (SRP). Neuromuscul Disord 2006;16:334-336.
52. Furlan A, Botsios C, Ruffatti A, et al. Antisynthetase syndrome with refractory polyarthritis and fever successfully treated with the IL-1 receptor antagonist, anakinra: A case report. Joint Bone Spine 2008;75:366-367.
53. Alexanderson H, Stenström CH, Jenner G, Lunberg I. The safety of a resistive home exercise program in patients with recent onset active polymyositis or dermatomyositis. Scand J Rheumatol 2000;29:295-301.
54. Dalakas, Rakocevic G, Schmidt J, et al. Effect of Alemtuzumab (CAMPATH 1-H) in patients with inclusion-body myositis. Brain 2009:132;1536–1544.