1. Williams B, Poulter BR, Brown MJ et al. Guidelines for management of hypertension: report of the fourth working party of the British Hypertension Society. J Hum Hypertens 2004; 18(3): 139–185.
2. Tayebjee MH, Lim HS, MacFadyen RJ et al. Matrix metalloproteinase-9 and tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinase-1 and -2 in type 2 diabetes: effect of 1 year’s cardiovascular risk reduction therapy. Diabetes Care 2004; 27(8): 2049–2051.
3. Lim HS, MacFadyen DC, Lip GZ et al. Diabetes mellitus, the renin/angiotensin/aldosterone system, and the heart. Arch Intern Med 2004; 164(16): 1737–1748.
4. Lip GY, Felmeden DC, Li-Saw-Hee FL et al. Hypertensive heart disease. A complex syndrome or a hypertensive cardiomyopathy? Eur Heart J 2000; 21(20): 1653–1665.
5. Kannel WB, Abbott RD, Savage DD et al. Epidemiologic features of chronic atrial fibrillation: the Framingham study. N Engl. J Med 1982; 306(17): 1018–1022.
6. Friberg J, Buch P, Scharling H et al. Rising rates of hospital admissions for atrial fibrillation. Epidemiology 2003; 14(6): 666–672.
7. Benjamin EJ, Levy D, Vaziri SM et al. Independent risk factors for atrial fibrillation in a population-based cohort. The Framingham heart study. JAMA 1994; 271(11): 840–844.
8. Barriales Alvarez V, Moris de la Tassa C, Sanchez Posada I et al. The etiology and associated risk factors in a sample of 300 patients with atrial fibrillation. Rev Esp Cardiol 1999; 52(6): 403–414.
9. Psaty BM, Manolio TA, Kuller LH et al. Incidence of and risk factors for atrial fibrillation in older adults. Circulation 1997; 96(7): 2455–2461.
10. Wilhelmsen L, Rosengren A, Lappas G. Hospitalizations for atrial fibrillation in the general male population: morbidity and risk factors. J Intern Med 2001; 250(5): 382–389.
11. Kalus JS, White CM, Caron MF et al. Indicators of atrial fibrillation risk in cardiac surgery patients on prophylactic. Amiodarone. Ann Thorac Surg 2004; 77(4): 1288–1292.
12. Ostgren CJ, Merlo J, Rastam L et al. Atrial fibrillation and its association with type 2 diabetes and hypertension in a Swedish community. Diabetes Obes Metab 2004; 6(5): 367–374.
13. Movahed M-R, Hashemzadeh M, Jamal MM. Diabetes mellitus is a strong, independent risk for atrial fibrillation and flutter in addition to other cardiovascular disease. Intern J Cardiol 2005; 105(3): 315–318.
14. Odeh M, Oliven A, Bassan H. Transient atrial fibrillation precipitated by hypoglycemia. Ann Emerg Med 1990; 19(5): 565–567.
15. Collier A, Matthews DM, Young RJ et al. Transient atrial fibrillation precipitated by hypoglycaemia: two case reports. Postgrad Med J 1987; 63(44): 895–897.
16. Rigalleau V, Baillet L, Hocini M et al. Atrial fibrillation can cause major hyperglycemia. Diabetes Metab 2002; 28(3): 239–240.
17. Guzman E, Singh N, Khan IA et al. Left bundle branch block in type 2 diabetes mellitus: a sign of advanced Cardiovascular involvement. Ann Noninvasive Electrocardiol 2004; 9(4): 362–365.
18. MacFayden RJ, Lim HS. Emergence of structural arterial stiffness in diabetes and the role of abnormalities of autonomic tone in the sequence of events. J Hum Hypertens 2004; 18(11): 755–756.
19. Hamaad A, Lip GY, Mac Fadyen RJ. Heart rate variability estimates of autonomic tone: relationship to mapping pathological an procedural stress responses in coronary disease. Ann Med 2004; 36(6): 448–461.
20. Veglio M, Chinaglia A, Cavallo-Perin P. QT interval, cardiovascular risk factors and risk of death in diabetes. J Endocrinol Investig 2004; 27(2): 175–181.
21. Rana BS, Band MM, Ogston S et al. Relation of QT interval dispersion to the number of different cardiac abnormalities in diabetes mellitus. Am J Cardiol 2002; 90(5): 483–487.
22. Gustafsson I, Brendorp B, Seibaek M et al. Influence of diabetes and diabetes-gender interaction on the risk of death in patients hospitalized with congestive heart failure. J Am Coll Cardiol 2004; 43(5): 771–777.
23. Whang W, Bigger Jr JT. Comparison of the prognostic value of RR interval variability after acute myocardial infarction in patients with versus those without diabetes mellitus. Am J Cardiol 2003; 92(3): 247–251.
24. Franklin K, Goldberg RJ, Spencer F et al. Implications of diabetes in patients with acute coronary syndromes. The global registry of acute coronary events. Arch Intern Med 2004; 164(13): 1457–1463.
25. Jonas M, Reicher-Reiss H, Boyko V et al. Hospital and 1-year outcome after acute myocardial infarction in patients with diabetes mellitus and hypertension. J Hum Hypertens 2003; 17(10): 665–670.