The Use of Bioimpedance Analysis for the Assessment of Relative Body Fat in Obese Women
Authors: Všetulová E., Bunc V.
Authors - sphere of activity: FTVSU K, Praha
Article: Čas Lék čes 2004; : 528-532
Number of articles displayed: 783x
Bioimpedance analysis (BIA) is often used for the assessment of relative body fat (%BF). The accuracyof the test depends on prediction equation used, which respects the group of population, body composition, age andgender of the individual. The requirement to construct a specific prediction equation for obese population with morethan 30% body fat was suggested. The objective of the study was to evaluate the validity of bioimpedance analysisand to develop population-specific prediction equation for obese women.Methods and Results. Relative body fat were measured in set of 63 obese women by means of 3 methods:t etrapolarbioimpedance analysis, bipedal bioimpedance analysis and dual energy X-ray absorbtiometry (DEXA). Significantdifferences were found among mean values of %BF measured by methods above (39,9%, 42,2% and 48,7%,respectively). Significant correlation between results obtained by tetrapolar BIA and by DEXA method was noticed(R=0,73). New specific prediction equation was developed for measuring %BF of obese women by tetrapolar BIA.No good agreement between bipedal BIA and DEXA method was found.Conclusions. By using the new prediction equation, measurement of the relative body fat in obese women bytetrapolar bioimpedance analysis was comparable with the reference DEXA method.
bioimpedance analysis, prediction equation, body fat.
The full wording of this article is not available in digital format, because the printed version editor has not released it yet. Send us your request and we will gladly pass it on to the editor’s office.
Selection of CzMA JEP journals
- Vitamin D: Its physiology, pathophysiology and significance in etiopathogenesis of malignant diseases | views: 229
- Enterohaemorrhagic Escherichia coli – dangerous new pathogens | views: 184
- Thalidomide epidemics – 50 years after | views: 135
- Significance of human papillomavirus infections | views: 115
- Principles of dealing with human DNA and genotyping information | views: 82
- Acute multiple organ failure after endoscopic polypectomy | views: 78
- Sudden renal function deterioration in an elderly patient on vancomycin therapy for endocarditis | views: 77
- The use of diagnoses related to tobacco use in the Czech Republic | views: 61
- Irreversible electro- poration: local, non-thermal, ablation therapy of malignant tumours | views: 53
- Role of infection in the pathogenesis of obesity | views: 43
- Oxidative stress after anthracycline therapy in patients with solid tumors
Kocík Miroslav1, Zimovjanová Martina2, Petruželka Luboš2, Kodydková Jana1, Vávrová Lucie1, Žák Aleš1
- Irreversible Electroporation: Local, Non-Thermal, Ablation Treatment of Malign Tumours
Janík V.1, Škrabalová D.1, Gurlich R.2, Málek J.3
- The dynamics of changes in serum visfatin after abdominal surgery: a novel pro-inflammatory marker in early diagnosis?
1Teplan V. jr, 2Šenolt L., 2Hulejová H., 3 Teplan V., 3Štollová M, 1Gürlich R.
- Comparing quality of life in dialysis patients and patients after kidney transplantation: A questionnaire survey
Radka Bužgová, Štěpánka Šmotková