Mediastinal ganglioneuroma with perineural cell differentiation. Report of a case
|Authors: Zámečník M., Chlumská A., Ondriaš F.
|Authors - sphere of activity: 1Alpha Medical Pathology, s.r.o., Bratislava, Slovak Republic;
2Šikl`s Department of Pathology, Faculty Hospital, Charles University, Pilsen, Czech Republic;
3Laboratory of Surgical Pathology, Pilsen, Czech Republic
|Article: Čes.-slov. Patol., 48, 2012, No. 2, p. 94-96|
|Category: Original Articles|
|Number of articles displayed: 115x|
An unusual case of ganglioneuroma with perineural cell differentiation is presented. The tumor was removed from the mediastinum in a 34-year-old male patient. Histologically, it contained neuroid bundles of bland spindle cells, scattered ganglion cells, and some foci of adipocytic metaplasia. Immunohistochemically, the tumor showed expected expressions of S100 protein, neurofilament protein and calretinin. In addition, many spindle cells were positive for perineural cell markers EMA, claudin-1, and GLUT-1. These cells were often arranged in an organoid fashion around the schwannoid bundles. This case indicates that the cells of ganglioneuroma can mature simultaneously towards both Schwann cell and perineural cell phenotypes.
ganglioneuroma – perineurioma – EMA – claudin-1 – GLUT-1
The full wording of this article is available only to registered users. Plese register and you can read this article immediately.
If you are a subscriber, log in and enter the subscriber code from your magazine cover.
If you are not a subscriber, log in for unlimited access to older editions.
- Granular cell variant of atypical fibroxanthoma. A case report | views: 21
- Lynch syndrome in the hands of pathologists | views: 20
- Uterine tumors resembling ovarian sex cord tumors (UTROSCT). Report of a case with lymph node metastasis | views: 17
- Expression of the active caspase-3 in children and adolescents with classical Hodgkin lymphoma | views: 16
- Detection of chromosome changes by CGH, array-CGH and SNP array techniques in tumours | views: 13