Hypothyroidism in elderly
Authors: V. Vargová, M. Pytliak, V. Mechírová
Authors - sphere of activity: 1 III. INTERNÁ KLINIKA LF UPJŠ A FNLP, KOŠICE 2 I. INTERNÁ KLINIKA LF UPJŠ A FNLP, KOŠICE
Article: Čes Ger Rev 2010; 8(1-2): 22-26
Number of articles displayed: 415x
Thyroid dysfunction occurs frequently in the elderly population, yet often goes unnoticed. Hypothyroidism is common and increases with age affecting 5–20% of women and 3–8% of men. The classical symptoms and signs of hypothyroidism may not be so obvious in the elderly, and a high degree of clinical suspicion is necessary. Elderly hypothyroid patients may have less weight gain, cold intolerance and muscle cramps, and the hypothyroidism can be easily overlooked in these patients who also have a higher prevalence of other chronic illnesses, use of medications and cognitive change than their younger counterparts. In the aged, psychiatric symptoms may dominate, with most texts on psychogeriatrics listing hypothyroidism as a cause for depression, delirium and dementia. The effects on the cardiovascular system can be a major problem and include bradycardia, hypertension, dyslipidaemia, ischaemic heart disease, and pericardial effusions. Another diagnostics problems could represents euthyroid sick syndrome, common in critically ill seniors, and subclinical hypothyroidism. Treatment of the hypothyroidism in the elderly patients should be careful and closely monitored. Whether or not to treat patients with subclinical hypothyroidism is still debated and treatment decisions should be made on an individual basis.
hypothyroidism – elderly – euthyroid sick syndrome – subclinical hypothyroidism
The full wording of this article is available only to registered users. Plese register and you can read this article immediately.
If you are a subscriber, log in and enter the subscriber code from your magazine cover.
If you are not a subscriber, log in for unlimited access to older editions.
Tento článek si můžete přečíst pokud si aktivujete Premium účet.
- The meaningfulness of life in the elderly | views: 543
- Geriatrics 2010 | views: 506
- The serious complication of diabetes mellitus in seniors – hyperosmolar hyperglycemic syndrome. | views: 497
- Age-related macular degeneration | views: 476
- Hypothyroidism in elderly | views: 415
- Dietary fibre in elderly | views: 356
- Hyperthyroidism in elderly | views: 340
- Older age and allergy – is this an issue? | views: 337
- The prevalence of selected pharmacological and non-pharmacological factors affecting safety and efficacy of pharmacotherapy in hospitalized seniors | views: 323
- Survey on Assessement Service | views: 296