Neuroendoscopic Biopsy of a Brain Tumor
Authors: Novák Z., Chrastina J., Říha I., Jančálek R.
Authors - sphere of activity: Neurochirurgická klinika, LF MU a FN u sv. Anny v Brně
Article: Klin Onkol 2011; 24(5): 348-355
Category: Original Articles
Number of articles displayed: 320x
Neuroendoscopic biopsy is one of the techniques that can be used for histological verification of a suspected brain tumor. The use of neuroendoscopy is particularly useful for cystic tumors and para- and intraventricular brain tumors that are risky for stereotactic biopsy. The technique of navigated neuroendoscopy enables biopsy sampling under visual control, haemostasis of biopsy site and treatment of cerebrospinal fluid pathways obstruction.
Patients and Methods:
Neuroendoscopic technique was used for biopsy in one patient with a solid brain tumor. 23 patients (12 males, mean age 49.7 years, range 21–75 years and 11 females, mean age 59.1 years, range 22–76 years) with a suspected cystic brain tumor underwent neuroendoscopic biopsy. Suspected intra- or paraventricular brain tumor presented indication for neuroendoscopic biopsy in 36 patients (20 males, mean age 43.9 years, range 6–80 years and 16 females, mean age 46.2 years, range 11–78 years).
High grade glioma was most frequently diagnosed in patients with cystic brain tumors, followed by low grade gliomas and metastatic tumors. Diagnostic sample was obtained from all patients. Tumor resection was performed in 7 patients with a cystic tumor after neuroendoscopic biopsy and histological findings were identical in 70.1% of them. Similarly, high grade glioma was most frequently diagnosed in patients with intra or paraventricular tumors, followed by tumors originating from pineal region tissues. Diagnostic sample was obtained from 94.3% of patients. Tumor resection was performed in 5 patients after neuroendoscopic biopsy and histological findings of the resected tissue was identical with neuroendoscopic biopsy in 4 of them (80%).
Neuroendoscopy is a safe biopsy technique for a subset of patients who are high risk for the use of stereotactic biopsy, with comparable results. Neuroendoscopy also provides for cerebrospinal fluid circulation obstruction treatment. The use of neuronavigation or stereotactic planning is particularly useful for the planning of an optimal surgical approach, helps to maintain anatomical orientation in distorted anatomy and facilitates haemostasis in case of intraoperative bleeding.
brain tumor – neuroendoscopy – stereotaxy – biopsy
Supported by VZ MŠMT 0021622404 and MZCR IGA NS 10411-3.
The authors declare they have no potential conflicts of interest concerning drugs, products, or services used in the study.
The Editorial Board declares that the manuscript met the ICMJE “uniform requirements” for biomedical papers.
11. 3. 2011
20. 6. 2011
The full wording of this article is available only to registered users. Plese register and you can read this article immediately.
If you are a subscriber, log in and enter the subscriber code from your magazine cover.
If you are not a subscriber, log in for unlimited access to older editions.
Tento článek si můžete přečíst pokud si aktivujete Premium účet.
- Prognostic Factors for Cervical Cancer | views: 19
- Antiangiogenic Biotherapy and Chemotherapy in Breast Cancer: Review of Literature and Case Report | views: 15
- Epidemiological and Clinico-Pathological Characteristics of Patients with Renal Carcinoma: A Single Institution Analysis of 544 Cases | views: 15
- Breast Cancer Adjuvant Radiotherapy Using Active Breathing Control-Moderate Inspiration Breath-Hold – a Case Report | views: 12
- The Role of Radiotherapy in the Treatment of Malignant Lymphomas – Recommendations of the Czech Lymphoma Study Group | views: 10
- A Case Report: Neutropenia Grade IV and Febrile Neutropenia in a Metastatic Breast Cancer Patient Treated With Palliative Chemotherapy Cyclophosphamide/Myocet | views: 10
- Adjuvant! Online: Mind the Gap! | views: 9
- Castleman Disease: Retrospective Single-Center Study of Therapeutic Results in 10 Patients | views: 9
- Spontaneous Remission of Acute Myeloid Leukemia – a Single Center Case Reports | views: 7
- Lenalidomide Maintenance Therapy in Patients with Multiple Myeloma | views: 4