Diacerein (Artrodar ® ) - a New Drug from the SYSADOA Groupin the Treatment of Osteoarthritis
|Authors: Pavelková A., Pavelka K.
|Authors - sphere of activity: Revmatologický ústav, Praha
|Article: Čes. Revmatol., , 2000, No. 2, p. 57-61.|
|Number of articles displayed: 2265x|
The authors present the pharmacological profile and an account of the clinical effectiveness ofdiacerein. It is a preparation which inhibits above all the production and activity of interleukin-1(IL-1) as well as other cytokines and catabolic enzymes which participate in the degradation ofcartilage in osteoarthritis (OA). The implemented clinical studies provide evidence of its effective-ness on pain and function in patients with hip and knee osteoarthritis. As to the character of itseffect diacerein belongs to so-called SYSADOA, symptomatically slow acting drugs in OA. The onsetof its effect is as compared with NSA retarded, the onset being after 2-4 weeks. Then its effectivenessis identical as that of NSA. While after discontinuation of NSA treatment the patients exacerbatesas a rule, after termination of diacerein treatment the favourable effect persists for another 2-3months. A recently completed study revealed that in addition to the purely symptomatic effect afterlong-term diacerein treatment the progression of OA is perhaps slower. Thus a drug potentiallymodifying the structure is involved. The assembled results will have to be confirmed in furtherinvestigations. Diacerein is a safe preparation, the main undesirable effect is diarrhoea whichhowever occurs only at the onset of treatment and as a rule does not lead to discontinuation oftherapy.
osteoarthritis, diacerein, therapy, SYSADOA
The full wording of this article is not available in digital format, because the printed version editor has not released it yet. Send us your request and we will gladly pass it on to the editor’s office.
- Recommendations of the Czech Society for Rheumatology for the treatment of patients with SLE | views: 206
- Health Related quality of life in patients with rheumatoid arthritis during the first year of treatment by TNF inhibitors (assessed by SF-36 questionnaire and compared with a sample of general Czech population) – results from the Czech biologics registry ATTRA | views: 55
- Myocophenolate mofetil in the treatment of systemic lupus erythematosus | views: 43
- What are the predictive factors of response to treatment with tocilizumab in routine clinical practice? The experience of the Czech national registry ATTRA | views: 14
- Circulating Heat Shock Protein 90 (HSP90) in patients with rheumatoid arthritis and axial spondylarthritis | views: 2