1. Wulf G. Attentional focus and motor learning: a review of 15 years. Int Rev Sport Exerc Psychol. 2013; 6(1):77–104. https://doi.org/10.1080/1750984X.2012.723728
2. Wulf G, Lewthwaite R. Optimizing performance through intrinsic motivation and attention for learning: The OPTIMAL theory of motor learning. Psychon Bull Rev. 2016; 23(5):1382–414. doi: 10.3758/s13423-015-0999-9 26833314
3. Pascua LA, Wulf G, Lewthwaite R. Additive benefits of external focus and enhanced performance expectancy for motor learning. J Sports Sci. 2015; 33(1):58–66. doi: 10.1080/02640414.2014.922693 24875153
4. Wulf G, Chiviacowsky S, Cardozo PL. Additive benefits of autonomy support and enhanced expectancies for motor learning. Hum Mov Sci. 2014; 37:12–20. doi: 10.1016/j.humov.2014.06.004 25046402
5. Wulf G, Chiviacowsky S, Drews R. External focus and autonomy support: Two important factors in motor learning have additive benefits. Hum Mov Sci. 2015; 40:176–84. doi: 10.1016/j.humov.2014.11.015 25589021
6. Dalton K, Guillon M, Naroo SA. An analysis of penalty kicks in elite football post 1997. Int J Spor Sci Coach. 2015; 10(5):815–27. https://doi.org/10.1260%2F1747-95184.108.40.2065
7. Franks IM, Hanvey T. Cues for goalkeepers: high-tech methods used to measure penalty shot response. Soccer J. 1997; 42:30–3.
8. McGarry T, Franks IM. On winning the penalty shoot-out in soccer. J Sports Sci. 2000; 18(6):401–9. doi: 10.1080/02640410050074331 10902675
9. Bar-Eli M, Azar OH. Penalty kicks in soccer: an empirical analysis of shooting strategies and goalkeepers’ preferences. Soccer Soc. 2009; 10(2): 183–91. https://doi.org/10.1080/14660970802601654
10. Binsch O, Oudejans RR, Bakker FC, Savelsbergh GJ. Ironic effects and final target fixation in a penalty shooting task. Hum Mov Sci. 2010; 29(2):277–88. doi: 10.1016/j.humov.2009.12.002 20206393
11. Navarro M, van der Kamp J, Ranvaud R, Savelsbergh GJ. The mere presence of a goalkeeper affects the accuracy of penalty kicks. J Sports Sci. 2013; 31(9):921–9. doi: 10.1080/02640414.2012.762602 23360203
12. Kerwin DG, Bray K. Measuring and modelling the goalkeeper’s diving envelope in a penalty kick. In: Moritz EF, Haake S, editors. The Engineering of sport 6. New York: Springer; 2006. p. 321–6.
13. Lees A, Owens L. Early visual cues associated with a directional place kick in soccer. Sport Biomech. 2011; 10(02):125–34. doi: 10.1080/14763141.2011.569565 21834396
14. Feltz DL, Short SE, Sullivan PJ. Self-efficacy in sport. Champaign IL: Human Kinetics; 2008.
15. Bandura A. Self-efficacy: toward a unifying theory of behavioral change. Psycho Rev. 1977; 84(2):191. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-295X.84.2.191
16. Sitzmann T, Yeo G. A meta‐analytic investigation of the within‐person self‐efficacy domain: Is self‐efficacy a product of past performance or a driver of future performance?. 2013 Personnel Psychology; 66(3):531–568. https://doi.org/10.1111/peps.12035
17. Graham-Smith P, Lees A, Richardson D. Analysis of technique of goalkeepers during the penalty kick. J Sports Sci. 1999; 17(11):905–29. doi: 10.1080/026404199365461
18. Almeida CH, Volossovitch A, Duarte R. Penalty kick outcomes in UEFA club competitions (2010–2015): The roles of situational, individual and performance factors. Int J Perform Anal Sport. 2016; 16(2):508–22. https://doi.org/10.1080/24748668.2016.11868905
19. Hancock GR, Butler MS, Fischman MG. On the problem of two-dimensional error scores: Measures and analyses of accuracy, bias, and consistency. J Mot Behav. 1995; 27(3):241–50. doi: 10.1080/00222895.1995.9941714 12529235
20. Larson-Hall J. How to run statistical analyses. In: Mackey A, Gass SM, editors. Research methods in second language acquisition: A practical guide. London: Blackwell Publishing; 2012; p. 245–8.
21. Naylor J.C. and Briggs G.E. Effects of task complexity and task organization on the relative efficiency of part and whole training methods. J Exp Psychol, 1963, 65, 217–224. doi: 10.1037/h0041060 13937802
22. Magill R, Anderson D. Motor learning and control: Concepts and applications (10th ed.). Singapore: McGraw-Hill Education; 2014; p. 423.
23. Wulf G, McNevin N, Shea CH. The automaticity of complex motor skill learning as a function of attentional focus. Q J Exp Psychol. 2001; 54A:1143–54. doi: 10.1080/713756012 11765737
24. Zachry TL. Effects of attentional focus on kinematics and muscle activation patterns as a function of expertise. [master's thesis]. Las Vegas (NV): University of Nevada; 2005.
25. Bernstein NA. On dexterity and its development. In: Latash ML, Turvey MT, editors. Dexterity and its development. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum; 1996. p. 171–204.
26. Abdollahipour R, Nieto MP, Psotta R, Wulf G. External focus of attention and autonomy support have additive benefits for motor performance in children. Psychol Sport Exerc. 2017; 32:17–24. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psychsport.2017.05.004
27. Wood G, Wilson MR. Quiet-eye training for soccer penalty kicks. Cogn Process. 2011; 12(3):257–66. doi: 10.1007/s10339-011-0393-0 21318734
28. Timmis MA, Turner K, Van Paridon KN. Visual search strategies of soccer players executing a power vs. placement penalty kick. PLoS ONE. 2014; 9(12):115–79. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0115179 25517405
29. Chiviacowsky S. Self-controlled practice: Autonomy protects perceptions of competence and enhances motor learning. Psychol Sport Exerc. 2014; 15(5):505–10. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psychsport.2014.05.003
30. Englert C, Bertrams A. Autonomy as a protective factor against the detrimental effects of ego depletion on tennis serve accuracy under pressure. Int J Spor Exerc Psychol. 2015; 13(2):121–31. https://doi.org/10.1080/1612197X.2014.932828
31. Halperin I, Chapman DW, Martin DT, Lewthwaite R, Wulf G. Choices enhance punching performance of competitive kickboxers. Psychol Res. 2016; 81(5):1051–8. doi: 10.1007/s00426-016-0790-1 27465395
32. Iwatsuki T, Abdollahipour R, Psotta R, Lewthwaite R, Wulf G. Autonomy facilitates repeated maximum force productions. Hum Mov Sci. 2017; 55:264–8. doi: 10.1016/j.humov.2017.08.016 28865313
33. Bar-Eli M, Friedman Z. Psychological stress in soccer: The case of penalty kicks. Soccer J. 1988; 33(6):49–52.