1. WHO report on the global tobacco epidemic. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2015.
2. Rigotti NA, Bitton A, Richards AE, Reyen M, Wassum K, Raw M. An International Survey of Training Programs for Treating Tobacco Dependence. Addiction 2009;104(2):288–96. doi: 10.1111/j.1360-0443.2008.02442.x 19149826
3. Cornuz J, Humaír J-P, Seematter L, Stoianov R, van Melle G, Stalder H, et al. Efficacy of resident training in smoking cessation: a randomized, controlled trial of a program based on application of behavioral theory and practice with standardized patients. Ann Int Med. 2002;136(6):429–37. doi: 10.7326/0003-4819-136-6-200203190-00006 11900495
4. Geller AC, Zapka J, Brooks KR, Dube C, Powers CA, Rigotti N, et al. Tobacco control competencies for US medical students. Am J Public Health. 2005;95(6):950–5. Epub 2005/05/26. doi: 10.2105/AJPH.2004.057331 15914815.
5. Reile R, Pärna K. Do physicians address their patients’ smoking behavior? Results from a nationwide survey among physicians in Estonia. Public Health. 2018;161:1–4. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.puhe.2018.02.009 29804054
6. Warren CW, Sinha DN, Lee J, Lea V, Jones NR. Tobacco use, exposure to secondhand smoke, and cessation counseling among medical students: cross-country data from the Global Health Professions Student Survey (GHPSS), 2005–2008. BMC Public Health. 2011;11:72. Epub 2011/02/03. doi: 10.1186/1471-2458-11-72 21284864.
7. Kralikova E, Bonevski B, Stepankova L, Pohlova L, Mladkova N. Postgraduate medical education on tobacco and smoking cessation in Europe. Drug and Alcohol Review. 2009;28(5):474–83. doi: 10.1111/j.1465-3362.2009.00104.x 19737206
8. Humair JP, Cornuz J. A new curriculum using active learning methods and standardized patients to train residents in smoking cessation. J Gen Intern Med. 2003;18(12):1023–7. Epub 2003/12/23. doi: 10.1111/j.1525-1497.2003.20732.x 14687261.
9. Fiore M. Treating tobacco use and dependence: 2008 update. Rockville, Md.: U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services, Public Health Service; 2008. xvii, 256 p.
10. Steinberg MB, Delnevo CD. Physician beliefs regarding effectiveness of tobacco dependence treatments: results from the NJ health care provider tobacco survey. Journal of General Internal Medicine. 2007;22(10):1459–62. doi: 10.1007/s11606-007-0282-5 17726636
11. Ockene JK, Hayes RB, Churchill LC, Crawford SL, Jolicoeur DG, Murray DM, et al. Teaching medical students to help patients quit smoking: outcomes of a 10-school randomized controlled trial. J Gen Intern Med. 2016;31(2):172–81. Epub 2015/09/24. doi: 10.1007/s11606-015-3508-y 26391030
12. Carson KV, Verbiest ME, Crone MR, Brinn MP, Esterman AJ, Assendelft WJ, et al. Training health professionals in smoking cessation. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2012;5:Cd000214. Epub 2012/05/18. doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD000214.pub2 22592671.