1. Leez L. The key principles of effective discharge planning. Nurs. Times. 2013; 109(3):18–19. 23431715
2. Fitzgerald Miller J, Piacentine LB, Weiss M. Coping difficulties after hospitalization. Clinical nursing research. 2008. doi: 10.1177/1054773808325226 18927261
3. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Readmissions and Adverse Events After Discharge. 2019. [cited September 8 2019]. Avalible from: https://psnet.ahrq.gov/primers/primer/11/Readmissions-and-Adverse-Events-After-Discharge
4. Alper E, O'Malley T. Greenwald J. Hospital discharge and readmission: UpToDate. 2019. [cited September 8 2019]. Avalible from: https://www.uptodate.com/contents/hospital-discharge-and-readmission.
5. Waring J, Marshall F, Bishop S, Sahota O, Walker M, Currie G, et al. An ethnographic study of knowledge sharing across the boundaries between care processes, services and organisations: the contributions to ‘safe’ hospital discharge. HS&DR, No. 2.29. Editor: Queen’s Printer and Controller of HMSO. 2014. [cited 11 August 2019]. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK259989/ doi: 10.3310/hsdr02290 25642570
6. Perry W, Lacritz L, Roebuck-Spencer T, Silver C, Denney RL, Meyers J, et al. Population Health Solutions for Assessing Cognitive Impairment in Geriatric Patients. 2018. Innov Aging. 2018. doi: 10.1093/geroni/igy025 30480142
7. Forster AJ, Clark H, Menard A, Dupuis N, Chernish R, Chandok N, Khan A, van Walraven C. Adverse events among medical patients after discharge from hospital. CMAJ. 2004 Feb 3;170(3):345–9. 14757670
8. Wolinsky FD, Bentler SE, Liu L, Obrizan M, Cook EA, Wright KB, et al. Recent hospitalization and the risk of hip fracture among older Americans. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2009. doi: 10.1093/gerona/gln027 19196641
9. Grimmer K. Experiences of elderly patients regarding independent community living after discharge from hospital: a longitudinal study. Int J Qual Health C. 2004; 16(6):465–72.
10. Albrecht JS, Gruber-Baldini AL, Hirshon JM, Brown CH, Goldberg R, Rosenberg JH, et al. Depressive symptoms and hospital readmission in older adults. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2014. doi: 10.1111/jgs.12686 24512099
11. Laugaland K, Aase K, Barach P. Interventions to improve patient safety in transitional care—a review of the evidence. Work (Reading, Mass). 2012. doi: 10.3233/WOR-2012-0544-2915 22317162
12. Kripalani S, LeFevre F, Phillips CO, Williams MV, Basaviah P, Baker DW. Deficits in communication and information transfer between hospital-based and primary care physicians: implications for patient safety and continuity of care. JAMA. 2007; 297(8):831–41. doi: 10.1001/jama.297.8.831 17327525
13. England UK: National Health Services. Involving people in their own care. 2019. [cited September 8 2019]. Available from: https://www.england.nhs.uk/ourwork/patient-participation/.
14. Frank C, Asp M, Fridlund B, Baigi A. Questionnaire for patient participation in emergency departments: development and psychometric testing. J Adv Nurs. 2011. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2648.2010.05472.x 21166838
15. Vahdat S, Hamzehgardeshi L, Hessam S, Hamzehgardeshi Z. Patient involvement in health care decision making: a review. Iran Red Crescent Med J. 2014. doi: 10.5812/ircmj.12454 24719703
16. Oikonomou E, Chatburn E, Higham HM, J., Lawton R, Vincent C. Developing a measure to assess the quality of care transitions for older people. BMC Health Serv Res. 2019. [cited September 8 2019]. Available from: https://bmchealthservres.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12913-019-4306-8
17. Rodrigue N, Laizner AM, Tze N, Sewitch M. Experiences of Older Adult Trauma Patients Discharged Home From a Level I Trauma Center. JTN. 2017. doi: 10.1097/JTN.0000000000000288 28486325
18. Foss C, Hofoss D. Elderly persons' experiences of participation in hospital discharge process. Patient Educ Couns. 2011. doi: 10.1016/j.pec.2010.08.025 20884160
19. Perry MA, Hudson S, Ardis K. "If I didn't have anybody, what would I have done?": Experiences of older adults and their discharge home after lower limb orthopaedic surgery. J Rehabil Med. 2011. doi: 10.2340/16501977-0874 21915586
20. Wressle E, Eriksson L, Fahlander A, Rasmusson IM, Tedemalm U, Tangmark K. Patient perspective on quality of geriatric care and rehabilitation—development and psychometric testing of a questionnaire. Scand. J. Caring Sci. 2006;20(2):135–42. doi: 10.1111/j.1471-6712.2006.00390.x 16756518
21. Kilshaw MF. Implementing an effective quality assurance program. In: Gelman D, editor. Medical Administration in Canadian Hospitals. Chapter F1. Ottawa: Canadian Medical Association; 1992.
22. Donze J, Lipsitz S, Bates DW, Schnipper JL. Causes and patterns of readmissions in patients with common comorbidities: retrospective cohort study. BMJ 2013. doi: 10.1136/bmj.f7171 347:f7171. 24342737
23. Lee EA, Gibbs NE, Fahey L, Whiffen TL. Making hospitals safer for older adults: updating quality metrics by understanding hospital-acquired delirium and its link to falls. The Perm J. 2013;17(4): 32–36. doi: 10.7812/TPP/13-065 24361018
24. Jenkinson C, Coulter A, Bruster S, Richards N, Chandola T. Patients' experiences and satisfaction with health care: results of a questionnaire study of specific aspects of care. Qual Saf Health Care. 2002;11(4):335–9. doi: 10.1136/qhc.11.4.335 12468693
25. Wolf JN, V, Marshburn DL, SL. Defining Patient experience. Patient Exp J. 2014;1(1):7–9.
26. Beattie M, Murphy DJ, Atherton I, Lauder W. Instruments to measure patient experience of healthcare quality in hospitals: a systematic review. Syst Rev. 2015. doi: 10.1186/s13643-015-0089-0 26202326
27. England, UK: Department of Health. High quality care for all: NHS Next Stage Review final report. 2008. [cited September 8 2019]. Available from: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/high-quality-care-for-all-nhs-next-stage-review-final-report.
28. Doyle C, Lennox L, Bell D. A systematic review of evidence on the links between patient experience and clinical safety and effectiveness. BMJ Open. 2013. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2012-001570 23293244
29. Ware J Jr, Sherbourne C: The MOS 36-item short-form health survey (SF-36). I. Conceptual framework and item selection. Medical care. 1992;30(6):473–83. 1593914
30. Eriksen HR: A scoring system for subjective health complaints (SHC). Scand J Public Health. 1999;27(1):63–72. 10847674
31. Charlson ME, Pompei P, Ales KL, MacKenzie CR. A new method of classifying prognostic comorbidity in longitudinal studies: development and validation. J Chronic Dis. 1987;40(5):373–83. doi: 10.1016/0021-9681(87)90171-8 3558716
32. Hesselink G, Schoonhoven L, Plas M, Wollersheim H, Vernooij-Dassen M. Quality and safety of hospital discharge: a study on experiences and perceptions of patients, relatives and care providers. Int J Qual Health Care. 2013. doi: 10.1093/intqhc/mzs066 23184652
33. Merten H, van Galen LS, Wagner C. Safe Handover. BMJ. 2017. doi: 10.1136/bmj.j4328 28993308
34. Kangovi S, Grande D, Meehan P, Mitra N, Shannon R, Long JA. Perceptions of readmitted patients on the transition from hospital to home. J Hosp Med. 2012. doi: 10.1002/jhm.1966 23212980
35. Coleman EA, Mahoney E, Parry C. Assessing the quality of preparation for posthospital care from the patient's perspective: the care transitions measure. Med Care. 2005 Mar;43(3):246–55. doi: 10.1097/00005650-200503000-00007 15725981
36. Boge RM, Haugen AS, Nilsen RM, Harthug S. Elderly patients' (≥65 years) experiences associated with discharge; Development, validity and reliability of the Discharge Care Experiences Survey. PLoS One. 2018. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0206904 30403738
37. Aronson JK. Compliance, concordance, adherence. Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2007. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2125.2007.02893.x 17378797
38. Oltedal S, Garratt A, Bjertnaes O, Bjornsdottir M, Freil M, Sachs M. The NORPEQ patient experiences questionnaire: data quality, internal consistency and validity following a Norwegian inpatient survey. Scand J Public Health. 2007.
39. Skudal KE, Garratt AM, Eriksson B, Leinonen T, Simonsen J, Bjertnaes OA. The Nordic Patient Experiences Questionnaire (NORPEQ): cross-national comparison of data quality, internal consistency and validity in four Nordic countries. BMJ Open. 2012. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2012-000864 22649175
40. Likert RA Technique for the Measurement of Attitudes. Archives of Psychology. 1932;140:1–55. doi: 10.1080/14034940701291724
41. Fischer C, Lingsma HF, Marang-van de Mheen PJ, Kringos DS, Klazinga NS, Steyerber EW. Is the Readmission Rate a Valid Quality Indicator? A Review of the Evidence. PLoS One. 2014. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0112282 25379675
42. World Health Organization (WHO). International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems 10th Revision 2016. [cited September 8 2019]. Available from: http://www.who.int/classifications/icd/en/.
43. Siddiqui OI. Methods for Computing Missing Item Response in Psychometric Scale Construction. Am J Biostat, 2015. doi: 10.3844/amjbsp.2015.1.6
44. Byrne B. Structural Equation Modelling with Amos. New York: Taylor & Francis Group, LLC; 2010.
45. Kline RB. Principles and practice of structural equation modelling. New York: Guilford Press; 1998.
46. Schreiber JB, Nora A, Stage F, Barlow E, King J. Reporting Structural Equation Modelling and Confirmatory Factor Analysis; A review. J. Educ. Res. 2006;99(06):333–337.
47. Cohen J, Cohen P., West S. G., & Aiken LS. Applied multiple regression/correlation analysis for the behavioural sciences. Mahwah, New Jersey; Lawrence Erlbaum Associates; 2003.
48. Smirnova A, Lombarts K, Arah OA, van der Vleuten CPM. Closing the patient experience chasm: A two-level validation of the Consumer Quality Index Inpatient Hospital Care. Health Expect. 2017. doi: 10.1111/hex.12545 28218984
49. Gjestsen MT, Bronnick K, Testad I. Characteristics and predictors for hospitalizations of home-dwelling older persons receiving community care: a cohort study from Norway. BMC Geriatr. 2018. doi: 10.1186/s12877-018-0887-z 30176794
50. Bezold C. The future of patient-centered care: scenarios, visions, and audacious goals. J Altern Complement Med. 2005. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1089/acm.2005.11.s-77
51. Aligning Forces for Quality. Good for health good for business. The case for measuring patient experience of care. 2015. [cited September 8 2019]. Available from: http://forces4quality.org/.
52. Tsang S, Royse CF, Terkawi AS. Guidelines for developing, translating, and validating a questionnaire in perioperative and pain medicine. Saudi J Anaesth. 2017. doi: 10.4103/sja.SJA_203_1711 28616007
53. Manary MP, Boulding W, Staelin R, Glickman SW. The patient experience and health outcomes. N Engl J Med. 2013. doi: 10.1177/1062860614539994
54. World Health Organization. Adherence to long-term therapies: Evidence for action. 2003. [cited September 8 2019]. Available from: http://www.who.int/chp/knowledge/publications/adherence_report/en/.
55. England, UK: National Health Services. Supporting Self-mangement/self care. 2018. [cited September 8 2019]. Available from: https://www.england.nhs.uk/ourwork/patient-participation/self-care/.
56. Felix HC, Seaberg B, Bursac Z, Thostenson J, Stewart MK. Why do patients keep coming back? Results of a readmitted patient survey. Soc Work Health Care. 2015. doi: 10.1080/00981389.2014.966881 25588093
57. Mulhem E, Lick D, Varughese J, Barton E, Ripley T, Haveman J. Adherence to medications after hospital discharge in the elderly. Int J Family Med. 2013. doi: 10.1155/2013/901845 23589775
58. Musich S, Wang SS, Hawkins K, Yeh CS. Homebound older adults: Prevalence, characteristics, health care utilization and quality of care. Geriatr Nurs. 2015. doi: 10.1016/j.gerinurse.2015.06.013 26254815
59. Rustad EC, Furnes B, Cronfalk BS, Dysvik E. Older patients' experiences during care transition. Patient preference and adherence. 2016. doi: 10.2147/ppa.s97570 27274204
60. Hvalvik S, Dale B. The Transition from Hospital to Home: Older People’s Experiences. Open J Nurs. 2015. Available from; http://dx.doi.org/10.4236/ojn.2015.57066.
61. Bell SP, Vasilevskis EE, Saraf AA, Jacobsen JM, Kripalani S, Mixon AS, et al. Geriatric Syndromes in Hospitalized Older Adults Discharged to Skilled Nursing Facilities. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2016. doi: 10.1111/jgs.14035 27059831
62. Loewenthal KM. An introduction to psychological tests and scales. 2nd ed. New York: Psychology Press Ltd; 2001.
63. Hardy SE, Allore H, Studenski SA: Missing data: a special challenge in aging research. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2009. doi: 10.1111/j.1532-5415.2008.02168