Pregabalin in the treatment of neuropathic pain
Authors: Prof. MUDr. Zdeněk Ambler, DrSc.
Authors - sphere of activity: Neurologická klinika LF UK a FN, Plzeň
Category: Pharmacotherapeutic methods
Number of articles displayed: 1085x
Neuropathic pain is defined as a pain arising as a direct consequence of a lesion or disease affecting the somatosensory nervous system and is one of the most difficult types of pain to treat. The current guidelines on treating neuropathic pain recommend pregabalin as one of the first line option. Pregabalin binds to α2-δ subunit of calcium channels in central nervous system, modulates calcium influx at nerve terminals, and reduces the release of several neurotransmitters. The efficacy of pregabalin in managing peripheral neuropathic pain has been proven in a number of double-blind, placebo-controlled trials. Pregabalin at doses of up to 600 mg daily showed a significant reduction in mean pain intensity scores and there were also significant reductions in sleep interference scores. Pregabalin is generally well tolerated; somnolence, dizziness, peripheral edema and weight gain are the most common adverse events and generally are reported as mild to moderate. Pregabalin may provide additional pain relief even in patients who received gabapentin or other drugs with only partial effect.
neuropathic pain, pregabalin, treatment, clinical trials
The full wording of this article is available only to registered users. Plese register and you can read this article immediately.
If you are a subscriber, log in and enter the subscriber code from your magazine cover.
If you are not a subscriber, log in for unlimited access to older editions.
Tento článek si můžete přečíst pokud si aktivujete Premium účet.
- New developments in pharmacotherapy of pain | views: 1468
- Pregabalin in the treatment of neuropathic pain | views: 1085
- Sublingual fentanyl – a new opioid dosage form for breakthrough pain therapy | views: 800
- Dabigatran in the prevention of stroke in patients with atrial fibrillation | views: 760
- New combination asthma therapy and its effect on small airways | views: 630
- Lornoxicam in the treatment of acute and chronic pain | views: 583
- Linagliptin – a new representative of pharmaceuticals with incretin effect | views: 315
- Sublingual allergen immunotherapy | views: 254
- Ofatumumab | views: 216
- Pharmacotherapy of colon, rectosigmoid junction and rectal cancer | views: 194