Pharmacotherapy of colon, rectosigmoid junction and rectal cancer
Authors: MUDr. Jana Prausová, Ph.D., MBA
Authors - sphere of activity: Radioterapeuticko-onkologické oddělení Fakultní nemocnice v Motole, Komplexní onkologické centrum, Praha
Category: Pharmacotherapeutic procedures
Number of articles displayed: 194x
Colon, rectosigmoid junction and rectal carcinoma is a very common disease in Europe, especially in the Czech Republic. Pharmacotherapy of the disease is indicated in neoadjuvant and adjuvant settings as well as in palliative therapy.
Standard adjuvant therapy regimens include 5-fluorouracil (5-FU) with leucovorin, capecitabine in monotherapy, the FOLFOX combination (5-FU, leucovorin, oxaliplatin), and the FLOX combination. Neoadjuvant therapy is indicated in stage T3 rectal cancers and in patients with clinically positive lymph nodes. It is administered concomitantly with radiotherapy. The dominant objective of palliative pharmacotherapy for metastatic disease is to render the condition operable, i.e. to make the resection of the metastatic disease possible. Patients eligible for the resection of the metastatic disease have significantly better prognosis.
The main emphasis in the process of determining the treatment procedure for patients with colorectal cancer is close cooperation of a team of physicians – diagnosticians, surgeons, oncologists and radiotherapists. The team of specialists should have adequate experience and rely on a well-equipped workplace with adequate hospital complement background.
colon, rectosigmoid junction and rectal carcinomas, adjuvant therapy, palliative therapy
The full wording of this article is available only to registered users. Plese register and you can read this article immediately.
If you are a subscriber, log in and enter the subscriber code from your magazine cover.
If you are not a subscriber, log in for unlimited access to older editions.
Tento článek si můžete přečíst pokud si aktivujete Premium účet.
- New developments in pharmacotherapy of pain | views: 1471
- Pregabalin in the treatment of neuropathic pain | views: 1093
- Sublingual fentanyl – a new opioid dosage form for breakthrough pain therapy | views: 800
- Dabigatran in the prevention of stroke in patients with atrial fibrillation | views: 764
- New combination asthma therapy and its effect on small airways | views: 630
- Lornoxicam in the treatment of acute and chronic pain | views: 586
- Linagliptin – a new representative of pharmaceuticals with incretin effect | views: 316
- Sublingual allergen immunotherapy | views: 254
- Ofatumumab | views: 216
- Pharmacotherapy of colon, rectosigmoid junction and rectal cancer | views: 194